SEBDA is a charitable organisation (registered in 1975 as charity number 258730) and exists to promote the well being of children and young people who are experiencing social, emotional and mental health difficulties (SEMH).
- SEBDA campaigns for better services for children and young people experiencing SEMH and better support for those who work with them.
- SEBDA provides valuable support to professionals working in our field. We understand the huge pressures on committed professionals who rarely receive the praise they deserve.
- SEBDA represents the field at regional and national level, contributing to government consultations and to research initiatives.
- SEBDA is committed to increasing social inclusion through making mainstream schooling more supportive. We also know from research and experience that for a small minority of pupils, social inclusion can be best pursued through education, support, care and therapy in specialist settings.
- SEBDA members have been at the forefront of practice-focused research in our field, publishing a wide range of books, resources and government-funded research reports on SEMH issues, inclusion and the social and emotional aspects of learning.
- SEBDA provides its members with up-to-date information, support and professional development through its research journal, web-site, Conferences and Masters level training courses.